Friday, August 17, 2018

Parashat Shoftim and False Prophecy


            Shabbat Shalom! This week’s Torah portion is Parashat Shoftim, which dictates the Biblical justice system in quite some detail and which gives us one of my favorite commandments, “Justice justice shall you pursue.” One of concerns in this parasha is about prophesy and divination. The Torah commands elsewhere that divination and soothsaying is forbidden, but in this portion God assures the people that there will be, from time to time, prophets that God will send and God will put the proper words into that prophets mouth, and it won’t be like other forms of divination or soothsaying with witchcraft and wizardry but direct inspiration from God.
            The possibilities for the people to fall into a trap of following a false prophet are myriad. The most common or obvious is the prophet of a false god. Our prophets often reference the Israelites following pagan gods and forgetting the One and Only God as the reason for the exile. However, there is also the possibility of a supposed prophet claiming to speak for HaShem, but who HaShem did not give prophecy to. Our prophets also reference these on occasion as the prophets employed by the priesthood or the monarchy in order to maintain their power and discredit the holy prophets who spoke Truth to Power and warned against the corruption of the powerful.
The Torah equates these differing styles of false prophecy, but I think the latter is far more dangerous. If someone is speaking from a different position from you entirely, it is much easier to respect their opinion and maintain your own. Those gods don’t fit into my monotheism, but they aren’t hurting me or maligning my God, so, hey, pagans, you do you. If someone claims to be speaking on behalf of my people or my God but offers harmful words that protect the already powerful and oppress the marginalized, that is far more distressing. The God of the Hebrew Bible can be quick to anger, and proscribes some extreme punishments, but God also commands us to love one another, to be holy, to protect the marginalized in society and to take care of the environment. In this parasha alone, we are reminded to pursue equality and justice, to have fair trials with multiple judges and witnesses, to never convict someone until we are completely certain, to leave prejudice out of the community.
So when someone uses “God”, “faith”, or my absolute favorite, “Judeo-Christian values” to justify hate, bigotry, greed, injustice, environmental destruction, or any other means to further subjugate marginalized voices, it seems to me false prophesy. Claiming to speak with the authority of the One True God, but spouting words which I cannot believe HaShem would put in their mouths, they malign HaShem and embarrass and potentially endanger all people of faith. We can overcome this by speaking words of Divine peace and love, repeating the holy commandments that uplift, and committing to public acts of good faith in our communities.
Today there are 22 days left until Rosh HaShana, which is 3 weeks and 1 day. We are in the mystical realm of Chesed sheb’Netzach, enduring kindness, this Shabbat. Reb Zalman offers for this:

BUILDING THE REALM-Day 22
“Psalm 27:6- And then my head will be raised above my enemies around me, and I will offer in His tabernacle sacrifices of jubilation; I will sing and chant to the Lord. (#1)” Even the strongest of us need love to endure. The Lord does not forget me but I must be counted by my earthly family too. As we sing Halleluyah up to the One let me gather in my holy sisters and brothers to celebrate. “Psalm 27:6- And now, as You have held my head high despite the presence of my powerful foes I prepare to celebrate and thrill, singing and making music to You, Yah!”(#2)

May we be vessels for enduring kindness, matching the everlasting Divine love our liturgy speaks of, and may we bring holiness and justice into the world through acts of Tikun Olam, that the finals days of 5778 be for goodness and peace.

No comments: